The Church on the Hill
St. Thomas More Parish was founded in 1936 as a mission of the Cathedral under Archbishop Howard. This new congregation met at the abandoned Mt. Zion Congregational Church at the corner of Dosch and Patton Roads. On September 29, 1940, the current church building was blessed.
The Holy Names of Jesus and Mary began our long-standing tradition of academic excellence and community service when ground was broken on January 15, 1948, for the school, parish hall and rectory. St. Thomas More Catholic School opened its doors to 71 students on September 9, 1948. The blessing of the school occurred on September 19, 1948. In September of 1949, the 7th grade class was added as enrollment reached 140 pupils. e following year, the eighth grade was added and the enrollment increased to 190. By 1951, four more classrooms, a health room and library were under way and the registry increased to 159 pupils. With 297 students registered in 1952, additional classrooms were added to the second oor of the school and ground was broken in May for a gymnasium and south wing of the school.
On September 21, 1952, the school additions, plus church additions and an enlarged sanctuary, choir loft, and south transept were blessed. The church now held 320 people with five weekly masses and a weekly attendance of 900 people. By 1956, 356 students were overflowing at the school and St. John Fisher Parish was opened to ease the problem. In 1957, school expansion was still underway with the parish hall used for classrooms and extra grades combined for the 414 students. By 1958, in the school’s peak year with 468 students, the last of the two classrooms were built.
In the summer of 2013, a covered play structure was built on the upper playground to allow for outside activities even in inclement weather. The church picnic was held under the structure in 2014 and 2015.